Larger images: 1200px 1600px
The open wasteland that the Great Central Railway at Thorne South in South Yorkshire became after rationalisation. The station, opened in 1864, is on the old Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway, later Great Central Railway, line from Sheffield to Grimsby. Taken on 15th May 1974, the permanent way hut on the right sits in isolation & what once was an island platform with goods lines to the right is now an unusally wide bare expanse against which the Scunthorpe bound dmu is waiting. Access to the platforms used to be via a dark subway with steps up. Today this has been swept away & new basic platforms closer to the South Common estate have been built behind the camera. To the left is the old stationmaster's house now in private hands & being extended.
15th May 1974
Only registered users can leave comments. Sign in / Register.