Larger images: 1200px 1600px
The Midland Railway station in Lincoln was St Marks, where a Swindon dmu is preparing to depart westwards from platform 1 with a three car train on 31st May 1978. Traffic on the level crossing can be seen in the right background. The line used to connect with the Great Northern line at Durham Ox Junction east of Central Station. Opened in 1846 the station closed completely in May 1985 when a new passenger line was opened between the Midland route & the Great Northern line into Lincoln Central station. This greatly relieved the traffic congestion in the city along High Street. However with the opening of a shopping complex on the site in the 1990s no doubt the traffic is even worse now. At least the main station building was not demolished but incorprated into this complex.
Lincoln St Marks
31st May 1978
Only registered users can leave comments. Sign in / Register.