In 1959 three ex-GWR Swindon built (Hawksworth design) TCKs were converted by the Western Region to be used as DMU strengthening vehicles. They were given blue square jumpers, and finished in Dark Brunswick (Loco Green) and lined in DMU style. Their main use was to be for adding into Cross-Country sets, which were still in the lighter DMU green). The three vehicles were W7254W, W7804W and W7813W.
|W7254W||1965||in Class 117 with 51367|
|W7804W||8/61||in a Cross Country set with 51064 / 59423 / 51092, on 1.18pm Paddington - Oxford & 3.45pm return|
|8/8/63||formed 51078 / 7804 / 59436 / 51106|
|7/66||in RDG 316|
|W7813W||12/59||in RDG 301|
|6/65||in RDG 333|
Left:One end of W7804W after conversion, showing the jumpers / sockets, blue square coupling code, and additional vacuum pipe. It is branded a 'TCL'.
Below: A vehicle inserted into a GRCW Cross-Country set (with a Swindon Cross-Country at the rear). The train is the 3.45pm Oxford - Paddington seen at Didcot on the 22nd September 1961. Michael Mensing
W7804W was transferred to 81D in August 1964. In early 1967 the transfer of Class 101 TCLs 59528/38/43 (first two from the NER and the third from the ScR) to the WR allowed the withdrawal of the ageing Hawksworth coaches - and officially all were withdrawn from 81D in March 1967.
W7804W was noted at Reading West on the 18th March 1967 with a condemned sign, it had been in traffic earlier in the year. On 29th July 1967 all noted marked condemned, W7254W at Hanwell and W7804/13W at March Jct, Bristol.
Using loco-hauled coaches in this manner was not unusual for this Region, it was a tradition started with the GWR railcars, and done again with the Class 116 Railair set.