Knowing that these contractor built vehicles required the power train & control equipment from BUT, the W&E Committee worked out a three year schedule balancing the anticipated delivery dates from builders and it's own capacity allowing it to submit a request to the BTC for the funding. It wanted to build a further 1,408 vehicles (in addition to the 232 that had previously been approved) consisting of 858 power cars and 550 trailers. The 2nd December 1954 proposal was approved at the BTC meeting on 16th December 1954 at a cost of £17,570,000.
The builders that were given orders from this were Metropolitan-Cammel (339 vehicles), Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon (393 vehicles), Cravens Ltd (72 vehicles), British United Traction - as Park Royal - (40 vehicles), D Wickham & Co (10 vehicles) and Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon (40 vehicles). All the GRC&W vehicles were allocated to the Manchester (London Road) No.1 scheme, with the " estimated dates of delivery on promises made at date of tender being commencing on 1st August 1956 and being complete on 10th November 1956 (delays to the placement of the actual order saw this slip).
The GRC&W tender had quoted prices of £20,811, £19,843 or £19,300 for power cars weighing 30.5 tons based on 10, 20 or 50 orders, likewise the 23.5 ton trailer were to be £14,671, £13,723 or £13,186.
Now falling under the 'Modernisation Plan', the British Transport Commission placed an order with the Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Company Ltd on the 21st June '56 for the 40 vehicles (20 sets), which were designed and built in collaboration with the Transport Sales Dept. of T.I. (Group Services) Ltd.
In the time between the sets being authorised for the Manchester Scheme in December 1954 and their delivery in mid-'57 plans changed. The Diesel Light Weight Trains Committee meeting on the 12th March 1957 approved that nine sets be re-allocated to Scotland once the Park Royal sets arrived in Manchester.
A second order had been placed on the 30th January '57 for a further twenty sets for the Edinburgh area of the ScR, following successful trials with 79xxx series Met-Camms in the Edinburgh area. The two batches were built consecutively between 5/57 and 5/58.
Gloucester C&W invited visitors, including representatives of British and overseas railways to the works in July '57 where the saw vehicles in all stages of construction, as well as the finished product.
The image shows a page from a brochure produced by GRC&W
Description: Structural Design
Description: Floor and Roof
Description: Strength Testing
GRC&W Ads & Works Pictures
BR Diagrams & Works Pics
Liveries - Green era
Liveries - Blue era
Liveries - Others
Operations - LMR
Publicity - ScR Newspaper Ads
Operations - ScR pt1
Operations - ScR pt2
Operations - ScR pt3
Operations - ScR pt4
Details about the preserved Class 100 vehicles can be found here.