Sign In

  Remember Me

Not registered?

1950s Engine Overhauls

Part 1

With all the DMUs being or due to be introduced throughout the country, the LMR allocated an area in Derby works to deal with the repair and overhaul of the engines. Good forward planning saw a workshop in which tender tanks had been repaired, emptied, and completely reconditioned early in 1955. By the allocation of a separate shop, the area was properly arranged in sections with complete separation of dismantling and assembly, personnel and components. This allowed the work to be done more efficiently than if they were handled in the already established diesel erecting shop. The shop was reconditioned and started work at the end of 1955.

Batches of dismantled components found fit for further use were sent to a central store, and not direct back to the same engine from which they were taken. At the entrance end of the shop was a 30ft x 47ft annexe in which the engines were cleaned externally, stripped, and then all components cleaned. Thor Pneumatic hoist blocks of 2,000 lb. capacity, mounted on overhead runways, were used for handling, and transport from the stripping and cleaning annexe was by roller conveyer.


Approximately one-third of the main shop, which was 186 ft. long by 47 ft. wide, was used for component inspection, rectification, and the storage of components and sub-assemblies. Following the small-component store was a rebuild section and storage compound for the larger components such as cylinder block and crankshaft assemblies. The assembly line for the rebuild of complete engines extended from this point to the despatch bay. On one side of the despatch bay was a dynamometer test bed and on the other side offices for the foreman, storekeeper, and clerical staff. The fuel injection equipment room was in an extension of the main shop, adjacent to the office block. All work benches were fitted with aluminium tops and the shop floor was tiled. Heating was by blower fan steam radiators and the general shop lighting was supplemented by extensive lighting over the benches.


An overview of the DMU engine shop. Storage racks separate the rectification and rebuild sections.

1950s Engine Overhauls

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

© 1998 - 2019