Coupling code: Blue Square
Underframe: 64ft 6in
Totalling 194 cars, three batches of these Cross-Country sets were built, 49 sets in 1958 for the WR, 7 in 1959 for the ScR ( for the Aberdeen to Inverness line although appearances at Oban and other places) were not unknown), and further 9 sets in 1961 for the WR.
In the late '60s, 22 sets were transferred from the WR to Derby to replace the less successful Cravens and BRCW units. In 1977 seven sets were transferred from the Cardiff to Chester in exchange for Gloucester build Cross-Country sets, followed by a further four by 1980. All the Chester sets (ex-Central Wales 2-cars) and some at Derby had their trailers replaced by Met-Camm trailers, although other types were also used.
Some cars had a trial refurbishment but this was found to be too expensive, meaning an early withdrawal for most of the class. The final vehicles survived until 1989, only one vehicle (a buffet car) was preserved.