The cars worked services in Lincolnshire, Humberside and the East Midlands.
By mid-56 it was realised that the sets were not adequately powered to operate the existing schedules, particularly as some of these required a tail load of a van or horsebox. Certain services, such as Skegness - Grantham and Lincoln - Boston were reformed into 3-car sets. Some examples noted in traffic were 50008/50007/56007, 50011/50012/56012, 50038/50039/56015 and 50015/50035/56035. The spare trailers were stored in various places: 56016/25/40 at Blankney and Metheringham; 56010/39 at Bardney; and 56004/20/22/37/38/44/45 near Sleaford South Junction. Despite these reformations, the 1 in 122 bank west of Ancaster could still reduce a set to 45mph, in comparison it was noted that the West Riding Derby Lightweights could accelerate to 60mph on 1 in 100 banks.
Set 50003/56003 was noted in service on the Upminster - Romford branch on the 12th Nov. '56.
At the start of 1957 50007/56007 were noted on the training course being done on the New Barnett - Harston line.
This class was the first passenger carrying DMU to reach Southend (Central) on the L.T. & S. section, when on the 21st April 1957 50031/56031 and 50033/56033 worked an excursion from Cambridge, and a further set ran from Tilbury to join the Southend portion at Barking.
The Eastern Region agreed to have a power car to be exhibited at the B.I.F on 6/17th May, 1957.
When the ECML was closed on three consecutive Sats (from 13:30) to Mons (till 13:30) for the rebuilding of Muskham Viaduct in 1957, all through trains ran via Lincoln and a DMU shuttle service operated between Grantham and Newark. 50020/56021/50021 operated this on the Saturday of the final weekend, June 1st.
An official survey of Eastern Region railcars in June 1964 listed "Derby Heavyweights (Blue Square)" as having a diagram requirement for 78 vehicles on the GN, with 20 maintenance spares.
At this time 50001-13/24-7/9-49, paired with 56001-11/3/6/24-49 were allocated to 40A and worked the following services:
50014-23, paired with 56012/4/5/7-23 were also allocated to 40A but loaned to Sheffield for local traffic, between maintenance periods. Formerly stabled at Darnhall, they were expected to be returned to Sheffield once Tinsley was opened. They worked:
On the 28th November 1969 50031-56031 ran through level crossing gates at Great Coates level crossing near Grimsby, striking a Dodge articulated lorry and carrying it 46 feet into the station. 3 people needed hospital treatment. Both bogies of E50031 were derailed. The train had ran past a red signal.
A similar incident occured a couple of months later when 50020 & 56020, travelling at 50mph, struck a tanker traversing Dowdyke Bank level crossing between Spalding & Boston.
Description: Cab Design
Description: Power Train
Diagrams & Works Photos
Details about preserved Class 114s can be found here.