A Swindon Inter-City 79xxx set seen at Craigentinny on May 27, 1957. The first and last power cars were 79106 and 79107. Stuart Mackay Collection.
Ayrshire Swindon Inter-City vehicles stored at Lugton on the 30th May 1959 awaiting entry to service later in the year. WAC Smith.
An official British Railways image - "Glasgow - Ayr - Girvan Inter-City Diesel Train, In Ayr Station - Terminal Platform, 3/11/59". Courtesy of G&SWR Association. British Railways.
An official British Railways image - "Glasgow - Ayr - Girvan Inter-City Diesel Train (when new), crossing the River Ayr, 3/11/59". Courtesy of G&SWR Association. British Railways.
A Swindon Inter-City set arrives into Newton-on-Ayr station in the 1960s. Steve Davies Collection.
A down Inter-City DMU is seen at Crookston in 1962. Corriebob.
The 7.0pm St. Enoch to Ayr is seen at Hillington West in May 1963. The distants are for Cardonald box, and a steam train is behind on the down slow. Corriebob.
A St Enoch bound Swindon Inter-City DMU enters Corkerhill station in August 1963. Note the white circle coupling code is edged in black to make it stand out on the yellow warning panel. corriebob.
A Swindon Inter-City formation enters Barassie station in August 1963 with a St Enoch - Ayr service. The two three-car sets contain a mix of 5xxxx and 79xxx series vehicles - the third vehicle in both sets have the van at the far end - next to the cab - meaning they are the earlier 1956 build. Corriebob.
Sc51043 on the 4.22pm St Enoch - East Kilbride service seen leaving Hairmyres on 20th March 1964, during a period when East Kilbride service were transferred to St Enoch from Central, only to return when St Enoch closed. Hamish Stevenson.
The 12.11pm Glasgow - St.Enoch - East Kilbride service arrives into Thorntonhall station on May 23rd, 1964. WAC Smith.
A Swindon Inter-City DMU (later Class 126) departing from St Enoch station in June 1966. The station closed a few weeks later and the services were transferred to Central station. Corriebob.
A Swindon Inter-City DMBS can be seen in amongst the diesel and steam locos in the West end of Corkerhill Shed in July 1966. corriebob.
A Class 126 set unloads its passengers in Corkerhill station on April 2nd, 1967. Hamish Stevenson.
Two Swindon Inter-City sets pass through Arkleston Cutting on June 15th, 1967, with the 2.30pm from Glasgow Central to Ayr. Corriebob.
A Swindon Inter-City DMU is seen heading for Largs in June 1969. It is about to pass Dalgarven signal box, closed and in the course of demolition. Corriebob.
Class 126 DMS SC50936 awaits departure from Glasgow Central on 12th August 1970. David Mant.
A Class 126 DMU winds its way into the correct platform in Glasgow Central in 1971. John Law.
A 6-car Class 126 Swindon Inter-City set arrives into Glasgow Central station in the early 1970s. John Law.
A five-car class 126 DMU departs Prestwick for Glasgow Central in the mid-1970s (It is missing one DMBS). For nearly 25 years, these B.R. Swindon built units were the mainstay of the routes from Glasgow to Ayrshire. In the background, to the right is Prestwick Golf Club, the venue for the very first Open Golf Championship. I. Middleditch collection. Gordon Thomson.