Coupling code: White Circle
Underframe: 64ft 6in
Engines: AEC 150hp
Known as E&G units after the line they predominately operated (Edinburgh - Glasgow), in the early days some sets worked Birmingham - South Wales services until replaced by Class 120 units. The WR sets were formed of three cars, ScR sets were normally six cars.
Along with the 1959 Scottish Inter-City build they had the White Circle coupling code, and differed from most other DMUs by having buckeye couplings and Pullman gangways.
The Edinburgh - Glasgow line became loco hauled in 1971 meaning the end for almost all of the type. Some had been transferred to Ayrshire and survived longer, becoming the only 79xxx DMU vehicles to receive a class number. Some were sold to a mining railway in Liberia, and one vehicle went into departmental use.
Two buffet cars entered preservation, one survives.