Larger images: 1200px 1600px
A joint BR/Steamport Open Day at Southport on September 11th 1982, saw a connecting service between Southport Station and the former Engine Shed in Derby Road, operated by Birkenhead based 03189 with Class 108 DMU M52051/M51936 providing the passenger accomodation. With former West Lancashire Railway land as a backdrop, 03189 propels one of the frequent shuttles away from the Steamport Museum and was about to pass under Windsor Road Footbridge. The Museum closed in 1999 and the site is now a retail park. The land above the 03 was the former route to the original West Lancashire Railway terminus station at Derby Road, used by services of the independent company when the line opened in 1883 from Preston until it was absorbed by the L&Y in 1897, the station being closed to passenger trains in 1901 following remodelling at Chapel Street. The WLR station was then used for goods traffic until 1973.
11th September 1982
Only registered users can leave comments. Sign in / Register.