Builder: BR Derby Works
Type: Low Density
Coupling Code: Blue Square
Coupling Type: Screw
Gangway Type: LMS
Engines: Leyland 150hp
Lot Number: 30601
The shuttle service between platform 6 at Southport and the Steamport Museum in the former MPD at Derby Road was being operated by a Class 108 DMU formed of cars M51936 & M52051 with 03189 providing the power on September 11th 1982. Martyn Hilbert.
Deep in rural West Lancashire, a 2-Car Class 108 DMU formed of cars M51936 & M52051 calls at Bescar Lane with a Southport to Manchester Victoria service on April 9th 1983. At the time the station still had a working signal box that controlled a traditional timber gated level crossing. The station still retained its building on the Southport bound platform, which in 1983 displayed a BR poster about Decimalisation (1971) and the tattered remains of an LMS poster. Martyn Hilbert.
51936 was part of set BX493 when seen at Manchester Piccadilly on 17/8/85. Malcolm Clements.
Class 108 set BX 493 seen at Manchester Piccadilly, with 51936 leading. It has a non-108 centre car. 15/3/86. Malcolm Clements.
Class 108 DMBS M51936 at Tyseley on June 28th, 1987. It still displays it's former set number BX493, it had moved from Buxton that March. Its stay at Tyseley was brief, it would move on to Eastfield that October. Andy Cole.
A joint BR/Steamport Open Day at Southport on September 11th 1982, saw a connecting service between Southport Station and the former Engine Shed in Derby Road, operated by Birkenhead based 03189 with Class 108 DMU M52051/M51936 providing the passenger accomodation. With former West Lancashire Railway land as a backdrop, 03189 propels one of the frequent shuttles away from the Steamport Museum and was about to pass under Windsor Road Footbridge. The Museum closed in 1999 and the site is now a retail park. The land above the 03 was the former route to the original West Lancashire Railway terminus station at Derby Road, used by services of the independent company when the line opened in 1883 from Preston until it was absorbed by the L&Y in 1897, the station being closed to passenger trains in 1901 following remodelling at Chapel Street. The WLR station was then used for goods traffic until 1973. Martyn Hilbert.
Birkenhead allocated 03189 was having a weekend at Southport during a joint BR/Steamport open day on September 11/12th 1982, when the 03 and a Class 108 DMU (M52051/M51936) formed a shuttle service between the Museum in Derby Road and Southport Station. In this view the exhibits on display are visible in platforms 5 & 6. The tracks in the foreground were once electrified and used by the services to Meols Cop and Crossens. Martyn Hilbert.
In rural West Lancashire, A Class 108 2-Car DMU formed of M52051 & M51936 arrives at Bescar Lane whilst working a Southport to Manchester Victoria service on April 9th 1983. The station here was in a time warp, with an ex LYR Signalbox, timber level crossing gates, semaphore signals and station buildings that had British Rail posters from 1971 announcing the change to decimal currency, and on one board the tattered remains of an LMS poster! Martyn Hilbert.
Class 108 set 384 (presumably 52051 + 59386 + 51936) is seen in Prestopans station on February 11th, 1989, with the 13:10 Haymarket - Dunbar service. Hamish Stevenson.